Jed & Kim

Jed & Kim

Monday, February 25, 2013

On the TOAD again ...

 Just wanted to shout out to Ali for getting us the best treats ever for our trip! Spicy crackers for Jed and 4 boxes of Gobstoppers for me!! ( I told Ali they were my "stay awake" treat on long road trips) 5 days of traveling totally requires 4 boxes!!!



 We were so happy to start are car this morning and get back on the road. It was a pretty start as we drove through the mountains while the sun rose. Evergreen trees as far as the eye can see. As we were driving we thought there was a big ice chunk that had fallen off a semi in the middle of the road. As we got closer we soon realized that it was a ptarmigan and it was too late and we ran over it. oops!




 This little car has served this ambitious amateur well. It has been to Canada 5 times. Back and forth from Illinois and Idaho several times. Countless trips to Utah and back. A few roundtrips to Seattle. All around the Midwest states, including a temporary stay in Oklahoma, and now all the way to Alaska. It would of gone with me to Europe and Africa but unfortunately, she is like her owner and doesn't know how to swim. Dreams are made possible if you own a Grand Prix. 










 We were both amazed at how beautiful it was! We drove in silence for a good portion of the day just enjoying the scenery. It really was a winter wonderland. 





Good thing we both were watching the road as we rolled into Whitehorse YT late this evening. As the night was creeping in it go harder to see the wildlife. We came around the corner and I saw a moose, a moose in the middle of the road, right in front of us!! Jed told me before not to scream because that would make him nervous and react wrong, so I calmly said 10 times moose, moose, moose, moose, moose, MOOSE, MOOSE! Wow we were lucky that we didn't hit it. The crazy thing was it just slowly walked out out our way, not spooked at all, after we were stopped right in front of it. Crazy scary!

One of the ladies I work with told Jed and I the other day that up here there isn't traffic jams, they are moose jams. Its not uncommon for a moose to wonder on the big highways here in a big city. Weird!

1 comment:

  1. You got some gorgeous pictures that maybe you got me convinced to come visit. I love the last one for sure and the one with you and Jed in it and the close up of the peak of the mountain peaking through the trees.
    Crazy about the moose I don't know if you've seen pictures of moose hitting cars but they almost cut cars in half because they are so big. Maybe that's another reason have such beefy cars so that when they hit wildlife they have a better chance of surviving.
    I can just hear you saying moose moose MOOSE good job on not screaming. Lance would tell me the same thing and I can't help it. Bravo.
    Stay safe! I'm glad there aren't any bear pictures so the wildlife that is abundantly in the open are mostly herbivores.

    ReplyDelete